Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Current Project Update: Tubular Upper Control Arm's on the cheap, Header Clearance

During my LT1 Swap I ran into an issue with my Sanderson CS-12, 3/8" thick gasket less flange, 1-5/8" primary tubes headers. With the motor sitting on the mounts and the headers on, the headers hit part of the upper control arms on both the passenger and driver side. With suspension travel they would push up into the header and bind.

I solved this issue by ordering a set of tubular upper control arms from http://www.gbodyparts.com . Its very useful to know that almost all front suspension parts from a G Body car will fit onto our s10's.



New Upper Control Arms
 To the right are the new upper control arms i ordered. The total price came to 135$ for both. That's $67.50 per side. I don't think you will be able to find tubular uppers anywhere for that price. If you do let me know. These new aftermarket set of upper tubular control arms are made of mild steel & then powder coated gloss black. Light weight weighing only 3.5 lbs. per side!!! That equals  a lot of weight reduction to your front end. They have greasable spherical ends so you never have worry about the factory bushings again.


Clearance for Header after installation
With the new upper control arms installed i had the clearance to fit my LT1 engine in with the headers on and have extra room for suspension travel. As you can see to the left there is plenty of room for the header and for travel of the suspension. This solved all my fitment issues and allowed me to upgrade my trucks suspension all at the same time. This is a great suspension upgrade at the price even if you are not doing an engine swap and don't need the extra room.